shifting Dropbox folder to different volume?

shifting Dropbox folder to different volume?

Postby DJChuck » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:25 am

Hi all,
I`ve managed to get Dropbox running nicely via Exagear on a Raspberry Pi 3+ - at least, as linked to an older account that has only 2GB of storage. All of this resides on the original home of the Pi - a 32GB microSD that now has ca. 24GB free space.
I want to link to a different DB account that has ca. 70GB of files - and so have this set of files reside on a second volume residing on an attach SSD with ca. 187GB free.
I don`t see a way of making such a change in the preferences box of the Dropbox application on the Pi desktop.
Suggestions and instructions welcome - many thanks in advance!
/ c.
DJChuck

Re: shifting Dropbox folder to different volume?

Postby DJChuck » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:57 am

Without going into all the details ... Some of the changes that need to be made include:

1) many people had the same experience I did that attempting to move the folder would result in the error message indicating that the target file system needed to be formatted as ext4 - which it was. Dropbox further requires that the filesystem definition in /etc/fstab include
user_attr
See
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Error-m ... d-p/302839
for more details, including a helpful link to the original solution in stackexchange.

2) Additional permission need to be reset - here the Dropbox help page is useful:
https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-we ... box-folder

This would get me far enough to move the folder via the desktop app - but with errors. At the same time, I wasn't able to link to a different account that I wanted to use instead of the one that was originally included in the initial setup via the setup dialogue box that ran following initial installation.

3) What did work: login to the desired account from a web browser - and then link from the account to the Raspberry.
This opened up the dialogue box that allows one to determine where the Dropbox folder should be located - and now identifying a folder on the desired target volume (an SSD) worked properly.

It _may_ be that one also needs to place the folder down at least three levels from the root folder system.

This now seems to be working splendidly - i.e., Dropbox is syncing ca. 70GB as desired to the Raspberry pi filesystem as desired.

Hope this will be useful if anyone else encounters similar issues -
/ c.
DJChuck

Return to ExaGear Desktop