Problems running MM6 and MM7

Problems running MM6 and MM7

Postby fkirenicus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:46 pm

Hi, I was quite excited when I came by your product. I've really wanted to dive into some good old games of mine for a long time, games that look awful on a HD widescreen laptop display... :-)
Found the instructions to be quite easy as well, and thought "hey, this should should be clockwork."

Alas, no.
In case my unit isn't supported, I should at once tell you on what device I'm trying this. :-) It's a Google Nexus 9.

First I tried installing Might and Magic VI from the disks from 1998 (yes, I'm an old man :-) ). Got it working so far as the intro videos. Then nothing - until after a few seconds I'm back at my android startup screen (which is Nova Launcher, if that might be a problem). Game is patched to 1.2 officially, as well as GrayFace's 1.11.2 patch (unofficial).

Next out is Might and Magic VII, freshly purchased from GOG (I have the disks for that as well, but thought I might try the DRM free version). I THINK this is pre-patched to 1.1 official, but when I try to launch it on my tablet I get the dreaded "Insert disk 2 in CD-rom drive" error message (the message I SHOULDN'T get since I installed a DRM free version, right...?)
When I patch this with GrayFace's unofficial 1.6.2 patch, I get the 3DO logo, and then again - nothing.

Since I'm quite tech savvy on computers but not so much on moble units I really don't know what to do - do you have any advice?
I haven't purchased the Magnesium controls since I wanted to try this out first, I hope that is allowed? :-)
fkirenicus

Re: Problems running MM6 and MM7

Postby Hellgha » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:45 pm

Hello from oldschool gamer) Nova Launcher here is not a problem, I think. Enjoyed myself)
After reading your post raises the question - where is the ExaGear folder with the game? It is located on the SD card or the internal memory?
Hellgha

Postby fkirenicus » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:08 pm

The Nexus doesn't support external SD cards, so my ExaGear folder is on the internal storage.
fkirenicus

Postby Hellgha » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:56 pm

Please fill out this form:
1. Version ExaGear.
2. Full name of your device.
3. What version of Android and the kernel.
4. The version of the game.
5. Similarly, describe the sequence of actions that resulted in an error.
6. Attach the log x86-stderr.txt, located in the root of the sd-card to this post.
Hellgha

Postby fkirenicus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:43 am

(EDIT: Got it working after a complete reinstall of both ExaGear and the game (removed eltechs folders from storage card on android unit and reinstalled it from Google play, and uninstalled, removed registry entries and reinstalled game in windows. Don't know what is wrong, but I think the .exe becomes "corrupt" somehow when I use the unofficial patch from GrayFace... I notice that HW acceleration for 3D is used as default after that). I can only get the vanilla game game from GOG to work though, so the F11 button (and maybe others) in the Magnesium control set is useless to me. Nevertheless, I guess it's worth paying for it anyway :-) I think though that I'll hook up a BT keyboard and use that instead, as I never have been good at swiping. Heh. :-) )
fkirenicus

Postby Hellgha » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:50 am

We tested the game with patch from GrayFace and everything should work. Perhaps the problem was that it was necessary to reinstall the application.
Hellgha

Postby fkirenicus » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:43 pm

Well, I won't argue with you about that. As I've said, mobile units aren't my domain in the same way that computers are. :-)
But whatever I do I cannot get the games to work with the GrayFace patches - as I've said it seems to me that properties from the computer are "inherited" somehow, which makes the game expect me to use hardware 3D and not software, also on the tablet (which I don't have, naturally). I've noticed when I install MM7 that the vanilla game has software 3D, and that works on the tablet. When I run the GrayFace patch the configuration program for MM7 tells me that it wants to use hardware 3D (which is indeed the default GPU on my computer, and as such the way I want to be on the PC!).
But anyway - got both MM6 and MM7 working now (and with the official patches, which was good enough back around 2000), and have purchased the Magnesium control set. So - I guess I'm a happy camper. Or gamer. :-)
Thanks for your efforts. :-)
fkirenicus

Return to ExaGear Mobile