switch to raspbian 9

switch to raspbian 9

Postby pan64 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:51 am

Hi all,
I have a pi2 with raspbian jessie (8.0), exagear and a non-working skype. Probably I need to reinstall, and start over the whole process, but first I would like to know if:
1. exagear desktop will work on stretch too.
2. may I use the same license on the same RPi2? (I hope so).
3. To install exagear should I use the deb package from the official raspbian stretch repo or I need to download packages from eltechs? (do I need the same packages as for debian 8.0, or there are other packages).
4. will it be better at all, or 8.0 and 9.0 will give the same performance? Is there any significant difference?
5. and finally installing skype is the same process (like this: https://eltechs.com/run-skype-on-raspberry-pi/) or has it been improved?

Thanks
pan64

Re: switch to raspbian 9

Postby pan64 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:19 am

1. yes, it is available in raspbian repositories, so apt-get install exagear works perfectly
2. yes, my license works.
3. I think it should be installed with apt-get and the old donwload method with install script should not be used any more. But need confirmation.
4. I have no idea if 9.0 better/faster/more stable/whatever at this moment.
5. And this is the most important. You need to remove all pages related to "how to install skype", because none of them working.
Skype 4.x is outdated and although it can be installed it won't communicate with other skype 8.x clients, therefore useless.
Skype 8.x is unavailable, what I found is the 32bit windows version, which is theoretically installable inside wine (or probably not?) but I could not make it work. Even the installation was not successful. If someone has a working guideline, please post....
pan64

Return to ExaGear Desktop