Prompt not showing "x86" when in ExaGear shell

Prompt not showing "x86" when in ExaGear shell

Postby EddieA » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:39 pm

In the pdf Guide, it shows that when you are in the x86 shell, it appends "@x86" to the prompt to identify this:
Code: Select all
user@arm-server:$ exagear
Starting the shell in the guest image /opt/exagear/images/ubuntu-1204lts
user@arm-server@x86:$ /usr/sbin/nginx -h

But on my system this is not happening:
odroid@odroid:~$ exagear
Starting the shell in the guest image /opt/exagear/images/ubuntu-1404lts
odroid@odroid:~$

Is there a way to force it so I know which shell I'm currently running in without having to constantly type:
odroid@odroid:~$ uname -a
Linux odroid 3.10.82 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jul 14 01:28:23 BRT 2015 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
odroid@odroid:~$

Cheers.
EddieA

Re: Prompt not showing "x86" when in ExaGear shell

Postby Gengar1603 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:28 am

To be honest, i haven't seen the @x86 prompt on my RPi2 either. I think it may just be something they did just for the documentation to help differentiate between the host and guest os shells.
Gengar1603

Postby treemoss » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi.

So, this issues has been really bugging me and I finally got it to work. I agree with the previous poster that this may have been put in the documentation for clarity sake, but not included in the release versions. It is an easy fix, at least for me.

1) install nano
sudo apt-get install nano

2) edit ~/.bashrc
nano ~/.bashrc

Now, look for lines with "PS1", as these are the lines that dictate the appearance of the shell prompt. They are about halfway down the page. I found three of them. In each of them, there is a string ..." \u@\h: "..
What I did was change it to " \u@\hx86:" The "\u@\h" writes out " pi@machine: ", and adding the "x86" at the end now writes out " pi@machine@x86 ", just like it shows in the documentation.

There is a lot of documentation on the web about other ways to modify your prompt, also.

I hope this helps someone. If so, please let me know. Cheers!
treemoss

Postby goha » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:42 pm

treemoss wrote:Hi.

So, this issues has been really bugging me and I finally got it to work. I agree with the previous poster that this may have been put in the documentation for clarity sake, but not included in the release versions. It is an easy fix, at least for me.

1) install nano
sudo apt-get install nano

2) edit ~/.bashrc
nano ~/.bashrc

Now, look for lines with "PS1", as these are the lines that dictate the appearance of the shell prompt. They are about halfway down the page. I found three of them. In each of them, there is a string ..." \u@\h: "..
What I did was change it to " \u@\hx86:" The "\u@\h" writes out " pi@machine: ", and adding the "x86" at the end now writes out " pi@machine@x86 ", just like it shows in the documentation.

There is a lot of documentation on the web about other ways to modify your prompt, also.

I hope this helps someone. If so, please let me know. Cheers!

Cool! It works on my RPi 3 ;)
goha

Return to ExaGear Desktop