[How To] Install Teamspeak3 Server

[How To] Install Teamspeak3 Server

Postby erythana » Tue May 19, 2015 1:52 am

Hello,

i've created a tutorial for all of those who want to install a TS3-Server on a BananaPi (and probably other ARM-Devices) using Lubuntu and Exagear Desktop:
(BTW: Any tipps for layouting this? I've created this in a Office-Document and copy&paste is messing this up, actually :/

Installing Teamspeak3-Server on BananaPi:
(and most likely other (supported) ARM-Devices)

Requirements:
BananaPi with Lubuntu
Exagear Desktop (http://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/ - about 30,-$)

Installing Lubuntu
First of all, you have to install Lubuntu on your BananaPI, to do so, download the image of the OS directly from LeMaker.org and install it with Win32DiskImager (Windows) or with dd (Unix).

Sometimes, you have to make the upcoming scripts executeable (if there is an error on first execution), do this by:

sudo chmod +x <FILE>

When finished, boot up your device and configure it for your needs. In this tutorial i only changed the hostname.

Download Exagear Desktop, unpack it and copy the licence key into the folder of your Exagear Install-Folder.
Run the Install-Script with elevated privileges:
sudo ./install-exagear.sh

This may take a while and install the guest-System onto your host.
When finished, start Exagear with
exagear

Create a new user (you dont want to run the Teamspeak-Server with root privileges)
Users are shared in Host and Guest – see manual for more information, thats the reason we dont have to create another user on the Host later

To add a user, type the following:.
sudo adduser teamspeak
and
sudo passwd teamspeak

The first line will create the Teamspeak User, the second one will prompt you for a password for the new account.

Now create the folder where teamspeak will be installed and give the user teamspeak some rights for it, for example
mkdir /usr/local/teamspeak
chown teamspeak /usr/local/teamspeak

Login as teamspeak and download the Server-Version of Teamspeak (his may vary, check the path to the file on the Teamspeak Download-Page) and unpack it:
su teamspeak
cd /usr/local/teamspeak
wget http://dl.4players.de/ts/releases/3.0.1 ... 1.3.tar.gz
tar –xzvf teamspeak3-server_linux-x86-3.0.11.3.tar.gz
rm teamspeak3-server_linux-x86-3.0.11.3.tar.gz

Let’s start the Server, using the following command:
/usr/local/teamspeak/teamspeak3-server_linux-x86/ts3server_minimal_runscript.sh
This takes some time now.
Important: DON’T forget to copy the output oft he runscript, yourAdmin-Account and also the token for the Admin-Rights is listed in there!

Now you can already connect to your server and configure it to your needs, but keep in mind that the starting of the server may take some time (be patient – i reinstalled my system once because i thought i messed something up ;))
Probably you want to run the server without being logged in, so you have to start the Background Service of it:
Strg+C
and
/usr/local/teamspeak/teamspeak3-server_linux-x86/ts3server_startscript.sh start

After a while, your server should be back up and running. You probably also want to run the server on startup, to do so follow these steps (these onces are a bit tricky because you want to start it on booting up IN YOUR HOST and not the installed (Exagear)guest).

Exit your Exagear-Session by typing
exit

I had to type it a few times because i changed the user-sessions via su, so make sure you are really working in your Host-System (otherwise you wont find the /opt/exagear/….. path anyway)
Check that you are in host ARM environment by typing
arch
You should see 'armv71' in the output.

Create a new file with
sudo vi /etc/init.d/teamspeak3

and insert the following text:

Code: Select all
#!/bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:       teamspeak3
# Required-Start:    $local_fs $network
# Required-Stop:   $local_fs $network
# Default-Start:    2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:    0 1 6
# Description:       Teamspeak 3 Server
### END INIT INFO
# INIT Script by http://www.SysADMINsLife.com
######################################
# Customize values for your needs: "User"; "DIR"
USER="teamspeak"
DIR="/usr/local/teamspeak/teamspeak3-server_linux-x86"
###### Teamspeak 3 server start/stop script ######
case "$1" in
start)
su $USER -c "/usr/bin/exagear -- ${DIR}/ts3server_startscript.sh start"
;;
stop)
su $USER -c "/usr/bin/exagear -- ${DIR}/ts3server_startscript.sh stop"
;;
restart)
su $USER -c "/usr/bin/exagear -- ${DIR}/ts3server_startscript.sh restart"
;;
status)
su $USER -c "/usr/bin/exagear -- ${DIR}/ts3server_startscript.sh status"
;;
*)
echo "Usage: {start|stop|restart|status}" >&2
exit 1
;;
esac
exit 0

Make sure your USER is set to „teamspeak“ and your DIR refers to
„/usr/local/teamspeak/teamspeak3-server_linux-x86“

Make the script executable
sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/teamspeak3

Now, we can make the Script run automatically:
sudo update-rc.d teamspeak3 defaults

Thats it! – The TS3 Server should start up automatically after reboot.

Source:
All the credits goes to „Patrick Shoyswohl“ from http://www.sysadminslife.com for creating the german tutorial and especially his startup script where i made some changes for Exagear, here are the (german) Articles i used to create this How-To:
http://www.sysadminslife.com/linux/ubun ... ntu-linux/
http://www.sysadminslife.com/linux/team ... ntu-linux/
__
Also a thank you to "Chrimi8" for some hints :)
erythana

Re: [How To] Install Teamspeak3 Server

Postby dguru » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:17 pm

Im having an issue with the autostart script.
It looks like i've done everything correctly, but it doesnt launch *correctly* automatically.
The launch script (ts3server-runscript.sh) seems to need sudo to run correctly and autostart is not doing this properly.
I found this out through the fact that when I try to run the script manually like this:

$ /opt/exagear/images/ubuntu-1204lts/usr/local/teamspeak/teamspeak3-server_linux-x86/ts3server-runscript.sh start

it doesn't work properly. Querrying for the status by replacing start by status in the command gives me the response that the server is running, but no one can connect.
When I run the server WITH sudo like this:
$ sudo /opt/exagear/images/ubuntu-1204lts/usr/local/teamspeak/teamspeak3-server_linux-x86/ts3server-runscript.sh start
it does start correcltly.

What can I do about this? Is there something wrong with the users I've made and do they not have the right permissions? Or is my server install broken?

EDIT:
After I wrote the PS it dawned on me that I might not have made the user "teamspeak" within the guest system, could this be the cause of the issue and if so, any way to resolve this without having to redo the entire Teamspeak install?

PS.
"sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/teamspeak" should be "sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/teamspeak3"
and just to avoid any confusion you might want to make EXTRA EXTRA clear when people should be running the guest system or in the host system (whether to use exagear or not). I know you do mention it, but I certainly missed it the first time around and spent longer than I'm willing to admit confused about why nothing was working correctly.
dguru

Postby zeus1200 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:58 am

Try to use root as the user of the script
zeus1200

Postby goha » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:06 pm

Please find here the instruction how to run TeamSpeak 3 server on Raspberry Pi:
http://eltechs.com/run-teamspeak-3-server-on-raspberry-pi/
goha

Postby user » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:13 pm

"sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/teamspeak" should be "sudo chmod 755 /etc/init.d/teamspeak3"

edited this typo.

and just to avoid any confusion you might want to make EXTRA EXTRA clear when people should be running the guest system or in the host system (whether to use exagear or not).

yep, this is the tricky step. Now there is a new how to instruction in the blog of Eltechs website that should be easier to read and follow:
http://eltechs.com/run-teamspeak-3-server-on-raspberry-pi/
user
Site Admin

Return to ExaGear Desktop