Reinstallation and Distribution onto different Raspberries

Reinstallation and Distribution onto different Raspberries

Postby P.U.Baer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:07 am

Hello,

so far i have bought two licences of exagear desktop (for raspberry pi 3) and installed one on one Raspberry. As i forgot the passwort for the Raspi, i need to reinstall the compelte raspbian system again.
a) Do i have to remove the exagear desktop before (like mentioned here
https://docs.eltechs.com/install-and-co ... ar-desktop)
or can i just format and reinstall the sd-Card and then i need to install the exagear desktop like i did the first time?

b) Is it true that i can use exagear only on the same raspberry again, that i used for the first installation? Is it bound to CPU or to the micro SD-Card?

c) I want to use different raspberries at home and also prepare them for some other members of the family. Originally i inteded to prepare the micro-sd-card with installation on my home-raspi and then i would just put the prepared micro sd-card to the other raspi. I guess this does not work with exagear (if answer to "b" is yes)?

d) Is there any chance to move exagear desktop from one raspi to another e.g. when the raspi might become defect one day?

It would be helpful if the licensing system would be more transparent during the buying and installation process.

Thanks for your answer.
P.U.Baer

Re: Reinstallation and Distribution onto different Raspberri

Postby goha » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:15 pm

Hello!

P.U.Baer wrote:a) Do i have to remove the exagear desktop before (like mentioned here
https://docs.eltechs.com/install-and-co ... ar-desktop)
or can i just format and reinstall the sd-Card and then i need to install the exagear desktop like i did the first time?

If you are going touse the same board and the same sd-card you can just reformat the sd-card and then install exagear desktop like you did for the first time.

b) Is it true that i can use exagear only on the same raspberry again, that i used for the first installation? Is it bound to CPU or to the micro SD-Card?

One exagear desktop license key is for one device and is bound to the first device where you activate the license key (the algorith is complex and based on both CPU and SD-card). Flexible license feature allows you to transfer your license key to another device (the same model,say from one RPi 3 to another RPi 3).

c) I want to use different raspberries at home and also prepare them for some other members of the family. Originally i inteded to prepare the micro-sd-card with installation on my home-raspi and then i would just put the prepared micro sd-card to the other raspi. I guess this does not work with exagear (if answer to "b" is yes)?

You can do the following. Take the first sd-card with installed and activated exagear desktop and backup the image (full sd-card image). Then write this image to anther sd-card. Insert the second sd-card to the second device and BEFORE running exagear activate manually the new license key. To do this you need:
1. purchase the new license key
2. delete allfile from /opt/exagear/lic directory
3. copy the new license key to /opt/exagear/lic directory
4. run 'sudo -E /opt/exagear/bin/actool'command
If you see the message "ExaGear is activated successfully" then you can start using exagear on the second device.

d) Is there any chance to move exagear desktop from one raspi to another e.g. when the raspi might become defect one day?

This is available within flexible license feture listed on the payment page.

It would be helpful if the licensing system would be more transparent during the buying and installation process.

We've recently updated the payment page so now you can find "?" sign near some features - popup window shows deailed description of the feature.
goha

Return to ExaGear Desktop